On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Ray Olszewski wrote:

I can only offer a guess, James, but the guess is that this report is nothing to worry about. I guess this from a look at the details.

Thanks for your input, Ray. I was beginning to think maybe it was not a matter for much concern, so it's good to hear some verification from someone more knowledgeable.

All that said, I still don't know why the new kernel reports these seek failures but the old one doesn't. Since you use pre-compiled kernels, and I don't even know where you get them from (I've never heard of "the Synaptic equivalent" to a Debian dist-upgrade ... does this just mean you work at Synaptic and use a local cache in a proxy server?), they are a black box to both of us. If the drive is 4 years old, it may have been partitioned under a 2.4.x kernel (conceivably even a 2.2.x. kernel), so these reports could just reflect improvements in the IDE code over time.

Yep, I'm pretty sure I partitioned this drive using a 2.4.x kernel. It's a Debian unstable netinst system, pretty much starting from scratch. On the Synaptic issue: you are undoubtedly aware that Synaptic is a graphical frontend for apt, I suppose? On the Synaptic menu bar, there are items representing command-line actions: the "reload" button likely invokes apt-get update, for example, while hitting the "mark all" button, followed by clicking the "apply" button, results in what must be the commandline equivalent of apt-get dist-upgrade. I've got the stock Debian repositories stipulated in /etc/apt/sources.list, so the pre-compiled kernels are coming from there. I really didn't want an updated kernel since I run vmware and have to recompile modules for it every time a new kernel comes along, and I'm not entirely sure how I got the kernel. I've looked at packages on the system and can't see where new 2.6.x kernels are supposed to be part of my dist-upgrade, but that's another issue. Anyway, good to get your take on the hard drive errors.

Thanks, James