On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Ray Olszewski wrote:

How did you install the kernel? That is, did you install the general 2.6 package for your architecture (kernel-image-2.6-386, for example) or did you install a specific kernel minor version (for example, kernel-image-2.6.8-2-386)?

I believe I specified a particular kernel for my architecture -- kernel-image-2.6.10-1-686 or something very similar. I've double checked, and no kernel-image-2.6-anything is installed. At least Synaptic shows none installed. kernel-kbuild-2.6-3 is the only thing similar-looking that's installed. Unstable is in a particularly unstable state at the moment--as you likely know--since a new release was done not long ago. I've been making the working assumption that the kernel oddness I'm seeing is related to this.

There's been a noticeable decrease in performance on this system with this 2.6.12 kernel, so I'll likely be getting rid of it. I'm looking at dummy ways of building a kernel: do you have any experience with kernel-package? It looks like it could make the process a bit less daunting to a relative neophyte like me.

Thanks, James