I assume you are trying to setup PPP and NOT SLIP as you are running "pppd"
at the end.

The problem with using minicom and bringing up the connection and then
running pppd is that when you exit minicom the line will go down and if you
run minicom and bring pppd up using a virutal console then minicom will
take the input from pppd etc..

It is prefered to use the chat script to get the line up and in the pppd
section of the networking howto or the PPP Howto there is the single line
command on setting up the link. If you are able to get upto the garbled
characters coming in from the remote end using minicom you could try this
out.

Go to a virtual console and type
#> cat > /dev/cua??

where cua?> is the device where your modem is connected. This will prevent
the line from going down when minicom exits.

Then from another console run minicom, bring up the line and wait for the
garbled characters. Then exit minicom. Remember to go to the setting of
minicom and remove the reset string (required) and the initialise string
(optional) else minicom will hang up the line. Save the settings in the
default minicom settings unless you have got other people using the
minicom.

On exiting minicom, run the pppd command that you require with the options.
Remember you need the /etc/ppp/options file if you are not pointing it
elsewhere from the commandline. You need it even if there is nothing in it.
(I read this somewhere ages ago.) Anyway, this should get your connection
up.

After the link is up go to the virtual console that has the cat running and
kill it (Ctrl-C).

Hope this helps.

Bye...Ian

I am forwarding this to a couple of lists, Maybe someone can help?

** Reply to note from Jonathan Sprague <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sat, 23 May 1998
08:12:03 -0500
Jonathan, this is further to my last message where I looked pretty
hopeless.
Well I still am hopeless but at least I am including what I have been
working on. Maybe if you had something to see, it might make it easier to
tell me what might be wrong..
I list below all the files I have worked with to get this SLIP link into
Linux in order to get it to talk to the InterNET. I have read and reread
the appropriate HOW-TO docs and what follows is the result of that. I
however do not have success yet, and ask that you point me in the right
direction - if you don't mind. I should also point out that I already
have a Linux Slip link set up for TNOS and Linux. That works and I wonder
if that could be causing a problem. Ok, here are my files:
<chopped files...>

That is about it. If you could provide some advice as to how to get
the right things to come up when I usse MINICOM to go in to the internet
and drop Minicom off and enter pppd -d -detach /dev/ttyS6 38400 &
I enter ifconfig at this point and all I see is the 'lo' and 'sl0'
statements which come from the Linux to Tnos arrangement. Hopefully I
can work things out so that I can get by this problem and get this
Linux 'thingy' to let me dial into the InterNET..
Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide. Pretty
lonely out here when noone is interested in Linux.
Ted Gervais  05/28/98  06:45pm
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Coldbrook, NS Canada
902-679-2253

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-diald" in