On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Michael Toth wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 21:13:30 -0500
> From: Michael Toth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Going insane...  RH5.1 filesystem problem...
>
> Newbie with a problem, must be the right place.
>
> I have been fiddling with RH 5.1 for a week and a half now and need some
> help.  I intend to use loadlin to dual boot, but I have run into a few
> problems.
>
> #1.  *Somehow* finally managed to get kernal support for vfat and
> iso9660 filesystems, never would install with it.  The problem here is
> that it only gives me support for them when I boot from my boot disk.
> It would seem that compiling a new kernel would allow me to build these
> in.  This leads to...
>
> #2.  Can't get "make" to make anything.  "make config" and "make
> menuconfig" give me some error about rules don't exist or something like
> that, but the kernel that was initially installed should work to begin
> with for learning the basics but I'm running in circles.

Try re-installing the linux kernel sources, or get the latest from
ftp.kernel.org (at this moment, that would be linux-2.0.35.tar.gz). Also
try if your 'make' works by compiling some other things.

> #3.  Can't find zImage or anything that appears to be a kernel image
> anywhere, I copied "vmlinuz-2.0.34-0.6" to a Windows partition and it
> boots, but no support for the filesystems as mentioned in #1.

Normally (on my slackerware system), the new compiled kernel lives in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage. You then have to 'cp zImage
/vmlinuz-2.0.35' and 'ln -s vmlinuz-2.0.35 vmlinuz'. (This way, you don't
need to edit the lilo conf to load the vmlinuz-2.0.35 file, but just the
vmlinuz that is linked to the vmlinuz-2.0.35). Then run LILO (else the new
kernel will not be used !!) by giving the command '/sbin/lilo'. Then
reboot and your new kernel should boot.

> I have a PII 333, 64Mb Ram, 6.4 and 7.0Gb IDE hard drives, an IDE

That's quite a setup you got there.

> CD-ROM, everything is supported,  intention is to have a Win98(write
> Visual Basic programs for work, I'd be happy to DUMP the memory
> hog...)/Linux dual boot, I've been reading tons of HOWTOs, FAQs, but
> nothing seems to match!  Any help would be most appreciated...

I hope this helps you, and else: don't give up !! In the worst case, just
reinstall your linux system, since it still is a new one and you haven't
done much editing yet.

   Karel Bemelmans
   Narfum Inc.

  [-- Contact --] -->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  [-- Website --] -->  http://www.narfum.org

   <--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/neat_signature.cgi" -->