-----Original Message-----
From: michael jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: HOWARD HM BEVAN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: IPM Return requested <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 11:24 PM
Subject: Re: (OT) help please with setting up main board.

>HOWARD HM BEVAN wrote:
>
>>      Sorry this is off topic, but I couldnt think of a better bunch of
>>      people to ask.
>>
>>      I've just bought an AMD-266 along with a Chaintech 5AGM2 main
>>      board. I'd like to overclock this but I'm not sure if I fully
>>      understand how to.

If you'd like some definitive information no OC'ing that pariticular board
then just check out Anand's Site as he has reviewed that paritcular board
and has all the settings for it.  Just go here:
http://www.anandtech.com/reviews/motherboards/chaintech/5agm2.html

Yes, good cooling is a must, and I highly doubt that you'd get that chip to
run stably (that's the key word in OCing - STABILITY).  It doesn't do you
any good to run it faster if it won't run reliably.

I've successfully OC'd a P166 MMX (P55C) to 225mhz on a 66mhz bus (really
it's about 232, but close enough).  I currently have an AMD K6 300 running
extremely stable and cool at 342 (68mhz X 5, that's 66mhz in turbo mode on
an Abit TX5 mobo).  Do not skimp on the RAM or a good heat sink and fan
combo here.  Also get some thermal grease for better hear transfer from the
CPU to the heat sink.  You may also have to play around with your memory
settings in your BIOS a little to get the latency timings to work.  This
mean you may have to make them slower to accomodate the higher CPU
frequencies and/or bus frequencies.  You can Overclock 2 ways really: 1) by
simply raising the CPU freq; and 2) by raising the bus freq, e.g. 100 X 3 is
300.  Which is out of spec for the chip, and hence OC'd.  The higher bus
speeds will yield greater performance here but you better have PC 100 RAM to
do that move.

I hope this is of some help.  If you want more info subscribe to the
alt.comp.hardware.overclocking group.

James