[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>         I have tied about 50 times to edit my lilo.conf file,

Just a suggestion: If you do not even know how to edit a file, do not edit
lilo.conf, edit something else and learn to use Emacs or vi first. If you
corrupt lilo.conf and run lilo, then you may not be able to boot again.

> and I'll be
> damned if I can figure it out.  I have read man pages, how-to's and
> 5 different books!  For a "NEWBIE" that is used to MS Word 97
> and its' ease of use,  how in the hell do I edit this file??!!

First find it. It is /etc/lilo.conf. Check whether it exists. type

ls /etc/lilo.conf

If you will use Emacs, type emacs /etc/lilo.conf.

> One book
> (Red Hat Linux Unleashed) says'"make sure you're logged in as
> root and load the file into your favorite editor."  Not very informative
> for a beginner.  Do I need to open a text editor(Joe, vi, emacs, etc)
> with lilo.conf in the command line and rewrite the whole file from a
> blank screen, or is there a way to see the file as I'm editing it?

Normally, you will see what you are editing. Emacs is not that different from
well-known text editors, its keybindings may seem odd...

> hope my meaning is clear.  I am a real newbie.  I can't even open
> the file by logging in as root and typing the path and file name!

If you could not see the file contents, either the file does not exist, or
you are typing something wrong. Maybe \ instead of / ?