According to James Maddison: While burning my CPU.

> Well, here's the deal.  If I start an X session as a user, then quit the
> X session, logout, login as root, then issue a shutdown -r now, it hangs
> at the "shutting down gpm mouse services:" everytime.

What about the good old "Three Finger Salut" ctrl-alt-delete ??.
If that works then i suggest you read the man page for shutdown, possably
there is an entry in /etc/shutdown.allow which could have some influence on
the origanal question, altho' thats a little bit of guess work.

If it is GPM related then gpm is being started with some or another wrong
option.

--
Regards Richard.