My system's is hanging at shutdown at this point: shutting down gpm
mouse services.  That's it.  I'm locked at that point after doing
#shutdown -r now.  Have to hit the reset button...argh!

The only thing that I can think of that's changed is that I installed
KDE.  It seems after that that this problem cropped up.

I modified the /etc/profile file per KDE install instructions.  Added
the lines:
KDEDIR="/opt/kde"
PATH="$PATH:$KDEDIR/bin"
export KDEDIR

just before the line beginning with "export PATH PS1 HOSTNAME
HISTSIZE..."

I didn't put any space inbetween those lines, just added it to the
file.  KDE starts up fine and runs like a champ.  Nice WM btw :-).

I'm running Linux RH 5.1 with all errata applied in the proper order.
Tri-boot to Win98, Win NT 4 (SP3) and Linux.

Any ideas why my system is hanging at this point hon shutting down?

Thank in advance,

James