According to Gevaerts Frank: While burning my CPU.

> On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, chris wrote:
>

> > all computers have 'real' ip's from my 'c' class and all are in the dns
> > records, all computers can ping each other by ip or host.domain name
> > the win95 pc dose not have anything in its hosts file, and connects to the
> > 4 other linux box's with out any problam , is the hosts file on the win95
> > box the same format as on linux ?
> >
> It is the same format. Seems to me that your linux box is blocking
> connections from the win95 box ; might be an error in /etc/hosts.allow or
> /etc/hosts.deny.
>
> If it isn't some kind of config that blocks just that specific IP, I don't
> know what the problem could be.

Chris said he can ping the machine, so there must be a route and if routing
is done thro' box1 then box1 has IP_FORWARDING set correctly, otherwise no
packets will be forwarded thro' box1 to any box.

This leads to the following suggestion that box2 is not listning for telnet
connections.
Check /etc/inetd.conf look for the line;
telnet  stream  tcp  nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/in.telnetd
make sure it is uncommented.

If /etc/hosts.allow or deny have some sort of rejection for that host, then
one would imagen that a message would be sent to the winbox upon trying a
telnet with something like "Sorry i'm not allowed to talk to you".

What does the box2 system log say after the winbox tryed to telnet to it,
the answer could be in there.

--
Regards Richard.