On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, Brian Dunnette wrote:

%I've just downloaded and installed KDE on my RedHat 5.1 box.
%Now I'm stuck with trying to actually get the thing to work!
%I've read the FAQ, but am stuck part way through the setup.
%Here are the problems I'm having:
%
%1) I need to put the /opt/kde/bin directory in my PATH -- where do I
%find/do this?

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/kde/bin
Add this to .profile in your home directory

%
%2) I need to set the KDEDIR environment variable to /opt/kde -- how?

export KDEDIR=/opt/kde
Add this to .profile in your home directory

%
%3) Need to edit the X-Windows config files so that other window managers
%don't start.  The FAQ claims these are in my home directory, but they
%don't appear to be.  And second, what should I delete once I find the
%files (the FAQ just says "anything that looks like a window manager"!)

Try looking in /etc/X11/../xinitrc

%
%Thanks,
%Brian Dunnette