-----Original Message-----
From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 21 September 1998 2:28am
Subject: Alt-key terminal switch inside X

>Linux-newbie question:
>
>I use the Alt-F[1-12] text terminal
>switching quite extensively.  But when
>I am in X11, it does not understand
>the Alt key, it seems X11 intercepts the
>keyboard.  My question is: "Is it possible
>to have X running _and_ switch to another
>login text terminal and by pressing, say,
>Alt-F2?"  Of course, I can start X and
>login inside a new window, but that is
>not what I want to do.  I want to have
>the Alt-F[1-12] feature control and "wrap"
>X instead of vice versa (which might
>be impossible?!).
>
>//joe

Hi,
    Alt-F[1-6] are reserved for text terminals while Alt-F[7-12] are
reserved for X sessions. While in a text terminal as you noted it is
possible to switch to any of the other terminals using Alt-F[1-12], but
while in X you  need to use Ctrl-Alt-F[1-12]. Since there are six of F[1-6]
and six of F[6-12] you can login at most 6 text terminals and 6 X sessions.

Here's a tip: if you want to run multiple sessions of X, to start it up
use:-

   startx -- :?

-where '?' stands for 0-6, 0 being the F6 session, 1 the F7 session etc.
Then use another text terminal to start up another X session on another F?
combination. You can even startup multiple session from the same text
terminal if you run the above in background mode.

have fun,
Ishaaq Chandy