On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I was wondering the proper way to making up a rescue disk. I have a boot
> disk for linux such that it will boot up to a certain point and then asks
> for 'something' to mount and if you have nothing, then that is where you
> stay.

Slackware, and, I suppose, most of the distributions,  has a boot-rescue
system right on the distribution CDROM.  Just rawrite it to two floppies.

> Is there a way to do this with just a boot disk; one that is made at the
> time of installing linux, so that one is not left high and dry if something
> happens to the system...

I'm not absolutely sure of this, but, at least in Slackware, the one made
at the time of installation will _not_ do for rescue.  It plans to boot
the system and mount the stuff on hard disk.  But this may not work if the
disk is corrupted somehow.

Good Luck,

Gordon A. Gallup                          Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
University of Nebraska-Lincoln            Lincoln, NE 68588-0111
Voice: (402)472-1230                      FAX: (402)472-2879
http://www.unl.edu/physics/