On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Oct 1998 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I was wondering the proper way to making up a rescue disk. I have a boot
> > disk for linux such that it will boot up to a certain point and then asks
> > for 'something' to mount and if you have nothing, then that is where you
> > stay.
>
> Slackware, and, I suppose, most of the distributions,  has a boot-rescue
> system right on the distribution CDROM.  Just rawrite it to two floppies.

You are right. 'rawrite' is there. I tried it and the system wouldn't boot
with it. And it only made ONE floppy. Not two?? I first tried it using
EMUdos, and then I booted up DOS and tried it that way - right from the
CDROM, but the first time I just entered the commands manually and the
second time I let the rescue.bat file do it.

In either case - things just stopped at the bootup ;  never going passed
the floppy. Obviously I have done something wrong. I wonder what that
could be.??

Oh - I should mention....this system I am doing this on is ok. Nothing
wrong here, but there is another one that is sick that I (we) are trying
to get to...

> I'm not absolutely sure of this, but, at least in Slackware, the one made
> at the time of installation will _not_ do for rescue.  It plans to boot
> the system and mount the stuff on hard disk.  But this may not work if the
> disk is corrupted somehow.

Yes. I believe that is right. That is why I am trying to make a TRUE
rescue disk to be ready for now and the future...

Thanks for responding. It is apprecated...

----
Ted Gervais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>