According to Mike: While burning my CPU.

> On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Charles E. Gelm wrote:
>
> > The 'lynx' suggestions worked on local files, didn't work on URLs.
> >
> Probably because your nameservering isn't working.
>
> > My LAN:
> >
> > k6    linux-2.0.34 (slakware 3.5.0) IP-MASQ, modem, ether-16/ct (ne2000 clone)
> > tiger windoze 95, ether-16/ct (ne2000 clone)
> > dx80  windoze fer workgroups 3.11, wdc8003ep
> >
> >  After running ppp-go, I can ping my ISP by numerical address (207.0.229.###),
> > but not by domain (www.erinet.com|erinet.com)
> >
> > I can ping all of my LAN computers, but only the linux (k6) can ping  my
> > ISP and only by dotted-numeric.
>
> What do ipfwadm -F -l and ipfwadm -M -l give?
>
> > ping www.erinet.com
> > ping: unknown host www.erinet.com
> >
> > ping erinet.com
> > ping: unknown host erinet.com
> >
> > lynx http://www.erinet.com
> > lynx: Can't access startfile http://www.erinet.com
> >
> All of these indicate that there is something wrong with your nameserver.

I dont quite agree here, thats the remote stn saying "no such file or
directory" Point lynx to your own index.html in /usr/lib/lynx.cfg to solve
this one.

> > /etc/resolv.conf (oops)
> >     was                                    now
> > domain erinet.com                    search nc8q.org
> > search erinet.com                    domain erinet.com
> > nameserver 198.6.245.102             same
> > END
>
> That should work.  If you are running named then you might want to add
> nameserver 127.0.0.1 before the other nameserver line, but it should work
> without it.
>

> > /etc/host.conf
> > order hosts, bind
> > multi on
> > END
> >
> > /var/log/syslog
> > Oct 11 09:06:13 k6 named[145]: can't change directory to /var/named: No such file
>or
> > directory
> > Oct 11 09:06:13 k6 named[145]: can't change directory to /var/named: No such file
>or
> > directory
>
> named is badly configured  - it is looking in /var/named which presumeably
> doesn't exist.  Somewhere you should have a named.ca, which named needs to
> find.  It is looking in /var/named at the moment.
>
> If you don't have a named.ca then
> $ mkdir /var/named
> $ touch /var/named/named.ca
>
> I'm not sure it'll fix it, but its worth a try :)

Should work.

> > Oct 11 12:34:38 k6 pppd[300]: ppp not replacing existing default route to
>eth0[0.0.0.0]
> > Oct 11 13:26:36 k6 pppd[466]: ppp not replacing existing default route to
>eth0[0.0.0.0]
>
> Ah.  This is the problem.  You have a default route set to route
> everything to eth0 (ie the ethernet card) instead of sending it over your
> ppp link.  I don't know exactly how slackware's initscripts work, but what
> you need to do is remove the line in (I think) /etc/rc.d/rc.network that
> reads something like
> route add default ......

Its /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 in slackware.

There are 2 possables in the file to look at, one under the
line/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
the second near the bottom of the file;

# Uncomment these to set up your IP routing table.
/sbin/route add -net ${NETWORK} netmask ${NETMASK} eth0
if [ ! "$GATEWAY" = "" ]; then
 /sbin/route add default gw ${GATEWAY} netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
fi

--
Regards Richard.