Glynn Clements wrote the following:

> CaT wrote:
>
> > Howdy folks. I've been trying for ages to do this but am failing
> > miserably.
> >
> > How in GODS name do I get ^H to 'erase' on the console login prompt?
>
>       stty erase ^H

Already did that. Doesn't help.

> > I have the bakcspace key sending ^H (modified a keymap) and I have
> > stty erase ^H in my rc.local and yet the damned thing still doesn't
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > want to do it... ^? works regardless tho. :/
>
> Are you referring to bash, or the terminal driver itself?

Not bash, the console login prompt. The thing mgetty, agetty, mingetty,
rungetty et al wind up showing by default when started from init.

> See the readline(3) manpage for more details.

Obviously, readline ain't. it. Wish it was that simple. :/ I know that
the default io include file (forget the namei in win98 atm) has #defines
has ERASE defined as ^? but I'd really rather not modify the include file
and have to recompile a few things... :) (yeah, I looked through some
source for the answer...)

--
CaT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                       URL: http://www.zip.com.au/dev/null

    There was farting in the air that night,
        It lit so bright,
            Fernando...