While attempting to install glibc 2.0.7 for star office 5.0, my computer
flipped out on me, giving an error message which I did not have the
presence of mind to write down.  I could type, but whenever I entered a
command (say, ls, or exit) it would give me a message, the gist of which
was:
/bin/ls:  Command not found
So all I could do was reboot (logging in on other virtual terminals didn't
help...)
Now, when I reboot, it gets as far as the partition check.  Here's the
last bit that comes up on the screen:

Partition check:
 hda: hda1
 hdb: hdb: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
 hdb1 hdb2 < hdb5 > hdb3

hda1 is my windows 95 partition, hdb1 is my linux partition, and hdb5 is
a dos partition that I mount when I boot.
So anyway, when it gets to the last line, it stops.  It echos my
keystrokes, but that;s all the response I get.  Does anyone know what I
did, and how I can fix it?

(And no, I don't have a boot floppy.  Why would I ever need a boot floppy?
:)

BTW, I'm using Redhat 5.0, and 5.2 is in the mail...  I'm planning on just
hosing my old installation and starting over with a repartitioned hard
drive, but I would still like to know what's going on here, and if I've
done any serious damage...

TIA

Kevin Jude    "As you wave the magic wand...
North Avenue   Nothing happens!"
Trade School    --Castle