According to Stompbox: While burning my CPU.

> when I boot up and get the login prompt the cursor begins to return (cr)
> every minute or so.
>
> I can log in and try to work, but the cursor drops down the screen two
> lines every 60 seconds.
>
> ideas?

Just one which possably wont help but here goes, check your logfiles in
/var/log for any information about consoles, and check also that
/etc/inittab has the following;

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:12345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4

One line for every console you use.

> I had installed this version of Linux on this very same machine with no
> problems, I recently re-partitioned and re-installed.

re-partitioning should not have affested anything which will produce such
stange effects.

--
Regards Richard.