On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 05:04:26PM -0500, John C Cusick wrote:
> Gentlemen and Ladies,
>
>       Has anyone tried or know of anyone
> who has tried to squeeze a basic linux system onto
> a '386 w/2 megs of ram and a 65 meg hd ?? (grin:-)
>
> This will act as a portable terminal only for amateur radio.
> Obviously X is not an option.
>
> I'm gonna give it a shot, but I was curious if anyone has ever
> tried it and found out whether it was a waste of time or not.
>
> As a terminal, minimal programs and services will be necesary;
> I figure the kernel, mail, telnet, ftp, ax25utils, net-tools and basic
> libs. (if nothing else it will be a learning experience I guess)
>
> Any suggestions, caveats, et al will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Please e-mail direct as this address is not directly subscribed
> to a couple of these lists.

It is possible and I have done it. You will of course need swap. :)
One caveat is that most (all?) installation procedures need at least 4
meg, so you need to use some special procedure. In Debian there is a
lowmemboot+root pair of disks you can use.

After that, with 65 meg hd space you will not be able to install many
packages :). This is probably the largest problem. Absolutely do not
let the package manager get it's way and instal lots of crap; as soon
as the base system is installed you should take control and install by
hand the packages you actually need.

Good luck!

--
Jakob Borg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [see http://www.df.lth.se/~jborg]
[Debian GNU/Linux 2.1 narayan 2.1.131 i586]

PGP signature