On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Rhett Daza wrote:

> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> First off. Thanks to all who answered my query on uninstalling RH 1.0.
>
> I recently encountered Mlinux or monkey linux in another list about PCs. All
> installations of Linux I know call for a separate partition and a boot manager.
> But according to the writer, Monkey Linux installs directly in the DOS
> partition.
>
> My questions are: How does monkey linux do this? What are  the pros and cons?
> And can any of the major distributions do this?

It probably uses a umsdos installation. I believe Slackware can do it as
well, not sure about the others. The pros are that you can keep  your
existing partitions, and that sharing data between linux and dos/windows
becomes somewhat easier. The cons are that the umsdos filesystem is much
less stable than ext2, and the system (file access) will be much slower.

As far as the boot manager is concerned, every linux installation can be
booted from the DOS prompt using a program called loadlin.

Frank