Michael B. Trausch wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>         I am needing some quick help here... I am thinking of purchasing an
> ASDL modem, as my ISP is offering a 24/7 1.544Mbps connection via this
> method at $35/mo plus the $60 per year I pay currently for access
> through them.  I am wondering if there are even drivers out yet for ASDL
> devices on Linux.  That's my *first* concern.... secondly, if I use the
> ASDL modem via an Ethernet hub (as my ISP suggests would be best to
> network a whole house to the Internet), would I even need the ASDL
> driver?

I know next to nothing about ADSL. However, there is a mini-HOWTO available on
the topic at http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ADSL.html .

>         And, lastly, how would I make it so that say, MACHINE_ONE would be a
> Linux machine, providing a proxy/gateway for MACHINE_TWO, running
> Windows 98, on the Ethernet network?  (The ISP only allows for *ONE*
> static IP address, and therefore, I conclude that a proxy or somehow
> different type of network needs to be built, with the Linux box as the
> bridge?  I most *definately* don't want the Win98 box to have the static
> IP from my ISP.)

 Your requirements seem to indicate that you need to be running
ip-masquerading. With such a setup, all packets destined for the internet from
machines other than the gateway machine (which runs ip-masquerading - and in
your case is going to be the Linux box), will be rewritten by the gateway so
that the ip-address is the ip-address of the gateway. In order to distinguish
between packets it originates, the gateway machine uses port numbers also. So,
if your Win95 machine had an ip-address of 192.168.0.2, and your linux box had
an internet ip-address of w.x.y.z, packets from your Win95 box would be
rewritten as originating from w.x.y.z and port number p (where p is a port
number picked by the gateway). The reverse translation will also be done for
incoming packets, so that your gateway will correctly send packets to your
Win95 box.

A limitation of ip-masquerading is that you can only run protocol clients on
the non-gateway machines. Thus you can run a web-browser (http client) on your
Win95 box, but you wont be able to run an http server.

There is an ip-masquerading HOWTO also available at the above mentioned sites.
Or, it most probably will be there in your /usr/doc/HOWTO directory.

Regards,
Kenneth

--
There is no such thing as luck. 'Luck' is nothing but an absence of bad luck.