On 13-Dec-98 Bogdan Taru wrote:

>       Hi all,
>
>  Thank you all for your numerous answers to my 'winamp' question, as well
> as to the 'strange DOS characters' one.
>  Yes, I've found & tryied both x11amp and mxaudio, and I like them both,
> even if they don't have the same facilities as winamp. Anyway, my sound
> card (OPL 3Sax) is not detected very well by Linux (lots of noise), and
> I'm considering buying a new one. Any suggestions about cards which work
> great with Linux?

Noise? Constant background noise which occurs even when no music is being
played would probably be due to a poor mixer setting. Try turning off all
unnecessary audio input (eg. mic and line in) using a mixer software.

If the noise or distortion only occur when the music reaches a loud section,
try turning down the output volume via the mixer and turning up the volume
switch on the speaker to compensate. Generally, all volume settings should be
set below it's maximum value in order to prevent clipping.

As long as all the features of a sound card is supported, the audio quality
should be the same regardless of the OS.

Cort