Like I said, how to do this depends on the distribution. My info is correct
for Slackware 3.4. You may well be correct for other distributions. That's
why one needs to check in /etc/inittab or the rc.d scripts before proceeding.

At 07:43 AM 12/16/98 -0600, Kenneth Stephen wrote:
>Ray,
>
>       I'm not sure what runlevel 4 is (or if it does anything at all).
>But AFAIK, for xdm one needs runlevel 5.
>
>Regards,
>Kenneth
>
>There is no such thing as luck. 'Luck' is nothing but an absence of bad luck.
>
>On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
>> You want to run the "xdm" program. The best way to do this will depend on
>> which Linux distribution you are using. In Slackware, for example, runlevel
>> 4 initializes the system with xdm. So you'd change the line near the
>> beginning of /etc/inittab that (on my system) reads:
>>
>> id:3:initdefault
>>
>> to read
>>
>> id:4:initdefault
>>
>> I would expect that your distribution of choice has some help either in the
>> comments in /etc/inittab or somewhere in the rc* scripts (located either in
>> /etc/rc.d/ or /sbin/rc.d/, depending on the distribution).
>>
>> Hope this helps. Good luck.

[rest deleted]

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]