Kurt,

>I have a US Robotics Sportster Voice 28.8 Faxmodem with Speakerphone
and Personal Voice Mail.  Does anybody know if this is a Winmodem?.
The How-tos and FAQs I've been reading are clear that a US Robotics
Winmodem will not work with Linux.

    You are correct about that- winmodems don't work (I now have two
modems because of that!)

    As far as I have been able to research (us robotics site, random
docs in my leftover pile) the older usrobotics are not winmodems. I
would venture to say that a strong majority of the older modems are
not.

    If the modem is internal-

Put it in.

use the <shift> <page up> function (hold down the shift key and press
the page up key to scroll up- shift page down to scroll down) to see
if the bootime messages report something like:

tty01 is 0x02f8 UART 16550A...

(I'm doing this from memory. Basically, ANY tty** statement with a
UART statement on the same line is what you are looking for.)

If it is there, you are good to go! (Not that you don't have more to
do...)

Even if it isn't there, run:

setserial /dev/ttyS1

You should see some sort of report that you have a connected device
with a UART. If this doesn't work, try ttyS2, etc.

You may want to then create a soft link to /dev/modem:

rm -f /dev/modem
ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/modem

You want to do this because some comm programs will default to
/dev/modem instead of a tty or cua device. What those commands do is
ReMove a device (logically) and LiNk another device (ttyS1) to the
logical name of /dev/modem.
    Don't use cua*. Use ttyS*. The reason for this is that the cua's
are being phased out (though X's control panel doesn't seem to know
it. Any patches for that yet?)

I'll try to answer any othewr questions as best I can, but I'm still
pretty new, myself.

P.S. If it matters, I'm runnimg RH5.2

-Koyote

>  I've read the booklet that came with the modem and found no
reference to a winmodem.  Still, I'd feel better knowing ahead of time
that this modem will work with linux as I learn vi and ppp setup -
light at the end of the tunnel.