The list of "known Winmodems" at URL http://www.winmodems.com/known.htm
includes these 3 USR entries:

US Robotics Sportster Is 14.4
US Robotics Sportster WinModem 28800
US Robotics Sportster 56K Internal

This is a good site to go to for further information.

You might also look at the USR Web site (now at www.3com.com). I can't find
a listing there for a 28.8 Sportster voice modem, but the "Sportster 33.3
Voice Faxmodem - internal"
(http://www.3com.com/client/pcd/products/prod-voice1171-int-spec.html)
appears NOT to be an HSP modem - the specs say it "Includes built-in 16550
UART for improved performance," from which I infer the presence of a real
serial port.

Assuming you have Linux on the system already, the best way to tell if yours
is a Winmodem is to see if setserial reports a UART type on the /dev entry
where the board is located. If you currently have Windows on the system, the
easiest way to tell is to boot in DOS mode, then see if a DOS comm program
like ProComm or Telix can use the board.

My advice: assume it IS a winmodem in the absence of a clear indication that
it isn't. Among newer internals, most seem to use HSP technology, and in the
last month, I've gone through several e-mail discussions with people who
*knew* their modems weren't Winmodems and turned out to be mistaken. You are
right to be cautious.

At 12:19 AM 1/31/99 -0500, Kurt Kehler wrote:
>I have a US Robotics Sportster Voice 28.8 Faxmodem with Speakerphone
>and Personal Voice Mail.  Does anybody know if this is a Winmodem?.
>The How-tos and FAQs I've been reading are clear that a US Robotics
>Winmodem will not work with Linux.  I've read the booklet that came
>with the modem and found no reference to a winmodem.  Still, I'd feel
>better knowing ahead of time that this modem will work with linux as I
>learn vi and ppp setup - light at the end of the tunnel.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]