I was here recently asking about a Small Home-Network and got a lot of replies from you all.  Thanks.

All I want to do is connect the Linux and NT machines together to share the printer and dial-up access (both connected to the Linux machine now).  Does it make sense to connect the two machines using TCP/IP?  (I want to learn TCP/IP networking and thought this would be a good way to do it.)

I went and purchased (and installed) the 3Com OfficeConnect Networking kit.  I >>>think<<< it's installed correctly...

The Hub LED indicates that Port 2 (the Linux machine) is working.  And I can "activate" eth0 from Network Configuration in RH 5.2.  How can I know for sure if Linux is set up correctly.  The Port 2 light is on but when I ping 23.7.19.64 (NT) it just gives a blinking cursor.  No error messages.

Under NT when I run the 3Com Diag. Tool and "Test" the NIC and Network, Port 1 (NT machine) LED light comes on saying the port is working.  >From here I get screwed up.  I don't know what settings to use, i.e. Workgroup vs. Domain, IP/Subnet, etc.  When I reboot NT, the P1 LED goes off and doesn't come back on.

Do I need Samba for this to work?  I've been reading all the HOWTO's and they're cofusing me even more.  Help...

-Pankil

--
May the source be with you.
http://www.redhat.com   http://www.linux.org   http://www.skyscaper.com