In an article on Sat, 6 Feb 1999 12:20:32 -0500 (EST),
 Michael Trausch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
 in list.Linux-Newbie about "DOS interfacing with Linux":

>I recall reading about an old program called Desqview/X, that allowed a
>user to run DOS/Windows/UNIX/X apps through a multitasking DOS
>program...

WOW !!  That was an excellent offering by Quarterdeck.  Though I never
used it to network (I ran a Wildcat BBS and DOS office programs
simultaneously), I understand that there was some ability to run TCP/IP.

I have the original DV/X v2.0 diskettes here at work.  I do _not_ have
the manuals.  Let me know if you want them.  The diskettes include a
supplemental diskette with shareware DV/X programs and Novell TCP/IP for
DOS v4.1.

>is there a freeware version of something like this available?

[snip]

AFAIK, there is no freeware DV/X or a similar program to run *nix on a
DOS network.

--

   Mike Fieschko, who lives in West Orange, New Jersey, USA