That's why I asked about IMAP. One of its features is flexibility about
downloading. To quote from the basic description of IMAP at www.imap.org:

"IMAP stands for Internet Message Access Protocol. It is a method of
accessing electronic mail or bulletin board messages that are kept on a
(possibly shared) mail server. In other words, it permits a "client" email
program to access remote message stores as if they were local. For example,
email stored
on an IMAP server can be manipulated from a desktop computer at home, a
workstation at the office, and a notebook computer while traveling, without
the need to transfer messages or files back and forth between these computers."

You probably want to look into it.

At 12:15 AM 2/7/99 -0500, Rod Gotty wrote:
>Ray:
>
>I'm not looking for POP3 or IMAP support - I know that Netscape and IE have
mail
>support built in.  The problem with POP3 (and perhaps IMAP, I'm not familiar
>with it) is that the mail client downloads the email to the user's local
machine
>and they read it from there.  If the user travels, they will have to somehow
>access that machine to access mail that has already been read.
>
>With a browser based email system, all the user needs is a regular web
browser -
>nothing special - no support for Java or anything else.  The mail is presented
>to the user by way of HTML web pages - the mail stays at the Linux server - the
>user only reads it through the browser, via HTML pages.  This way, the user can
>move from one machine to another and still access their mail - old or new, by
>pointing their web browser to (hopefully my Linux machine) and access it
through
>the browser.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]