Why do you want to make a daemon?  What do you want it to do for you?
Most run of the mill daemons are child processes of init, which is
assuredly not dead.  Daemons that expect they might be run from a
console generally detach from it with setsid() or the like so they can
run in the background.  Others must be run with a trailing &.
A more useful definition for a daemon might be a
process that does something which is useful or necessary, but not of any
direct interest to a console user.  First, make it useful.  Then you can
make it into a deamon by running it with:

<daemon name> &

or running it from inittab

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999, Bogdan Taru wrote:

>         Hi everyone,
>
>  I've got an 'exotic' programming problem for you: how can I make a
> daemon? I know that a daemon is a child process who's parent died
> (sounds morbid, doesn't it?...). I've tried to build something on this,
> but without much success (I don't get the shell prompt until the child
> dies too...). And I thought maybe you can help me with examples or even
> sources for existing daemons...
>
> Thanks & Have fun,
> bogdan

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]