Hello again - another really basic question I'm afraid but I can't seem to
find the answer anywhere.

I'm a true Linux newbie but I'm now fairly comfortable with the idea of
processes. However, I'm interested to work out whether I can run a
background process while logged out. If I log in (via telnet), start a
process, hit CTRL-Z and type "logout", I get the message "there are stopped
jobs" and it won't let me log out until I've killed them. However, if I just
disconnect the telnet session, the job keeps running but I have no way to
get it back into the foreground (I just get "fg: No such job"). It's not on
the "ps" list but it *is* on "ps a". It's not on the "jobs" list at all.

Could anyone give me a quick idea of the story? It seems to me like I *can*
run jobs while not actually logged with a shell in but I'm not going about
it the right way at all.

I hope this makes sense - any light shed would be light appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

ps. Totally unrelated question but it just popped into my head - Am I right
in assuming that I can't use SMB to actually *mount* drives on remote
machines? Only my linux machine is running out of disk space (15Mb free!)
and my Windows one has 3Gb free. I don't want to bother getting into that
whole NFS thing if I can avoid it.

Be careful of reading health books,        | www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~clr |
you might die of a misprint. - Mark Twain  +--------------------------+