You want a package called "screen."

Don't run this on an ISP's box without their permission. They get really
bent out of shape about it (having done it innocently once).

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Chris Rae wrote:

> I'm a true Linux newbie but I'm now fairly comfortable with the idea of
> processes. However, I'm interested to work out whether I can run a
> background process while logged out. If I log in (via telnet), start a
> process, hit CTRL-Z and type "logout", I get the message "there are stopped
> jobs" and it won't let me log out until I've killed them. However, if I just
> disconnect the telnet session, the job keeps running but I have no way to
> get it back into the foreground (I just get "fg: No such job"). It's not on
> the "ps" list but it *is* on "ps a". It's not on the "jobs" list at all.

_Deirdre  *  http://disclaimer.deirdre.org  *  http://www.deirdre.net
"I would rather choose to have my leg bitten off than to buy NT"
Rob Narberes, Information Systems Manager, DNA Plant Technologies Corp
as quoted in (!) Computerworld