> So proud. Got Slack 3.5 installed, fumbled through getting lpr working, ppp
> going, got X looking good, and even compiled and got kde cruisin'. Many thanks
> to this list, and a big tip 'o the hat to Ishak, a very patient and considerate
> guy.
>
> Now a big booger. Compiling a custom kernel. Maybe I shouldn't have even tried,
> since sbpcd.i included with Slackware was cruisin' good, just hated the sbpcd
> probe.
>
> Starting with general questions, why:
>
> 1) Do I get so many "warning: control reaches end of non-void function" errors
> during compile?
>
> 2) Do I get "unresolved symbol(s) /lib/modules/2.0.32/(stuff I never chose in
> config)?

Try this:

I assume the kernel version that you are building is 2.0.32 (from above),
and that this is the same version as before.  If you do a "make modules_install",
it will simply copy your new modules under /lib/modules<kernel-version>.
You unresolved symbols are probably caused because you never bother to remove the
modules that were there before.  You new kernel isn't build to handle these.

The answer:
        mv /lib/modules/2.0.32 /lib/modules/2.0.32.old

        cd /usr/src/linux
        make mrproper
        make menuconfig (make config last time)
        make dep
        make clean
        make zImage
        make modules
        make modules_install

the rest of the stuff you listed seemed pretty bizzare, namely:

> cp zImage /root
> mv zImage vmlinuz
> lilo

Firstly, the zImage file should be in /usr/src/linuc/arch/i386/boot/.
However your "cp zImage /root" assumes it is in the current
directory where you do your builds.  It may be in both, but to
be consistent with the kernel-HOWTO, get it from /usr/src/linuc/arch/i386/boot/.

also, you are copying the zImage file to /root.  Do yourself a favor:

look at your lilo.conf file.  it will have a line like "image=<whatever>"
for your linux kernel.  you should change that line to image=/zImage, or
if you have a /boot directory, change it to image=/boot/zImage.  calling
the file zImage in lilo.conf rather than vmlinuz means you can skip
the file renaming step "mv zImage vmlinuz".

now copy the zImage file to the location you put in your lilo.conf file,
and run "lilo".

in opther words, change the last three steps to:

 cp usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /
   (or "cp usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/zImage /boot"
    if you have a /boot directory)

 vi /etc/lilo.conf  (and edit the "image=" line as described above)

 lilo

Hope this helps..
Bryan Scaringe.