According to Stan/Miriam Fisher: While burning my CPU.

> I sent in the following message a while back:
>
> I wonder if someone can help with this problem. I have just installed
> Red Hat 5.2 , (2.0.36) from a CD distribution. I am able to open
> X-Window with the *startx* command. I would like to use the Control
> Panel to do the necessary administration procedures. When I click on the
> menus: Start--Programs--Administration,  I get a menu which includes:
> *About Myself*, *Change Password*, *Control Panel*, *Disk Management*,
> *HelpTool*, and *Kernel Configuration* .

[snipped]

> **ERROR**: unable to find a usable depth
>
> Any suggestions as to what this means and what to do from here. I repeat
> I'm a complete newbie with Linux
> and self taught as far as computer skills are concerned so please be
> very specific in answering. Thanks in advance.
> Stan Fisher

I've had some problems also in the past with what you describe, however i
cant realy remember exachtly what the problem was, my problem was solved
by mounting my cdrom in /mnt/cdrom, i rather think i had a control panel
but some options would not work untill i mounted the cdrom as mentioned,
so this is probably not an option for you, more a shot in the dark.

--
Regards Richard.