James,

I am not sure, but I think an ext2 fs may be limited to 4 terabytes.  I
don't think you have any hd's big enough to have to worry about it.  If
you do any source development work, and you keep source in /usr/src, as
is customary, 300mb is small for /usr.  Wine, for instance, takes about
150mb to compile.  A fairly minimal linux kernel takes 40mb to compile,
more if you have more than just ide and serial hardware.  But it really
depends on what you want to do.  300mb is probably fine if you have no
programmers using your system, or if you do, they make their messes in
their own ~/. :-).

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, James Spiller wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please excuse the simplicity of my question, and lack of knowledge it
> displays, but what is the maximum size of a linux-native partition?  I
> have just installed Red Hat 5.2 (which virtually installed itself, and
> did so, accurately - I'm really impressed!) on a 1Gig partition, and I
> have another CD of Linux goodies to pick through and so I am wondering
> what is the limit.  I know I can partition various mount points - for
> example, should /usr have 300Mb?
>
> Please excuse the obvious subjectiveness of this question; really I'm
> looking for general guidelines.
>
> TIA, James.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]