On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Samarth Kumar wrote:
> Hello Everybody,

        Hi!

>       I am running Slackware, while trying to run netscape from X, I got a
> warning message that the program is a suid-root program.  What exactly is
> the meaning of suid???  I know that it has to do something with rights of
> users, but I am not sure.

        That means that Netscape (aka Mozilla) runs as if you were root.
This can be a possible security hole.
        suid makes programs run as they were run by their owner.  So if I
have an application that is owned by user joe, and I (raider) I run it
suid joe, the process can do anything joe can do, not what raider can do.
This is used for root capabilities mostly.

>       Is there any command that will tell me what is the version of the kernel I
> am using, and also how do I change the message that appears on the screen
> if somebody tries to telnet in to the system?

        uname -r will show the kernel version.  For more details check the
man page for uname.  This is a quite useful tool.
        That is the /etc/issue.net file that is shown.  It was just
explained on the list how to customize it.  I mean just to edit it isn't
enough because distributions use to rewrite it at boot time.  If I recall
well it's the rc.S file... don't know for sure because I have RH right
now.

        Raider
--
                ``Liberate tu-temet ex inferis''