Ok, I capitulate!  I can't figure out why 'whoami' will not tell me who
I am unless I am logged in as root.

The facts:
I created the user using the adduser utility (in fact I created more
than just this one, and they all have the same outcome)
The /etc/passwd file has the user identified as
"scotty:x:501:100:scott,,,,,:home/scotty:/bin/bash" which is AFAIK 100%
okey dokey
When I try to use pine is says "Who are you? (Unable to look up login
name)" but when I type mail it says "no mail for scotty"
When I do a whoami is says "whoami: cannot find username for UID 501"
When I ls -l /home it identifies /home/scotty as being owned by scotty

I have done a lot research on this and I absolutely can not figure it
out on my own.  Any insight to this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

486/66, 32M, 1G, Slackware 3.5 with a standard 2.0.34

Thanks,
Scott

COLUG: Hey guys, when is the next meeting?  and are you going to have it
at the library?