Ok. Start with the basics.

1. Try a different bootdisk and see if it detects the card. I've
successfully used this card (actually, the 1542C, if memory serves) with
Slackware. So try downloading the scsi.s bootdisk from sunsite, or wherever,
and see if it detects the card.

2. Might you have an IRQ conflict? The most likely candidate is your NIC.
What IRQ does it use?

3. Do you have the BIOS enabled on the Adaptec card? Prior to Linux boot, do
you get a BIOS message from the card? Or does "and no other mention of SCSI
in any way" mean that there is no message even on the pre-boot screens? If
you don't get this earlier message, the problem is surely with the card, not
Linux.

BTW, did you look at the "SCSI HowTo" or the "SCSI Programming HowTo"? Not
that it matters much -- both have 1996 dates on them (at the LDP site), and
the SCSI HowTo is specifically listed as *unmaintained* there (at URL
ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/unmaintained/SCSI-HOWTO). There
is also some info on the aha154x series in the BootPrompt HowTo.

While I imagine this feedback is not as specific as you had wished for, I
hope it is of some help anyway.

At 01:50 AM 4/10/99 -0400, Mike Werner wrote:
>Hiya folks.  Slight problem here I'm hoping to get some info on.  I
>recently acquired an Adaptec AHA1542 SCSI card and a SCSI CDROM drive,
>and I would like to put them to use in my box.  I'm running Debian 2.1,
>kernel 2.0.36.  I've got all SCSI related items compiled into the
>kernel, not modules yet.  I'l worry about that after I get the thing to
>work.  As it stands, when I reboot I get:
>scsi : 0 hosts.
>scsi : detected total.
>and no other mention of SCSI in any way.  As I understand it this means
>the card is not being detected.  I found the mention in the SCSI HOWTO
>about the aha1542.h file needing to be edited.  So I tried that, but it
>didn't help.  I also tried typing the line "aha1542=0x0330" at the LILO
>prompt (and yes that is the IO base for the card - that I'm sure of) but
>that didn't help either.  I also noticed that the SCSI HOWTO is dated 30
>August 1996.  Is there anything somewhere that might be a bit more up to
>date?  I've not had any luck finding anything yet.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]