Logging as root over telnet is a bad way of getting root on your system.

Two options if you want root remotley log into telnet as a user and type
in su this will switch user to your root acount and put in your root
password.  If anyone has a sniffer they just got your root password though
so this isn't highly recomended.  A better way is to install ssh and get
an ssh client for nt (secure shell) by default your can log in as root and
no one can see your password.

I hope this helps a little.