These commands:

chown = change owner, executed as "chown userid filespec"
chgrp = change group, executed as "chgrp grpname filespec"
chmod = change mode (permissions), executed as "chown ### filespec"

In the above, you can substitute a number for userid or grpname, and you
need a 3-digit octal number in chmod . The man pages for these commands have
this in more and better detail.

At 07:43 PM 4/13/99 +0200, Einar Sundgren wrote:
>A really stupid question,Iknow but this is the newbie list. How do i do to edit
>owner and group on files and folders preferrably from the console, I have nice
>shells for it in X so there are no problems.  Btw i have root access so thats
>not a problem.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]