If you mean just changing a file so that it can be accessed by its owner
and the associated group, but nobody else, then you can do a "chmod 660
filename", which will give read/write access to the file to its owner and
group, and no access to anyone else. If you want execute permission as
well, then do "chmod 770 filename". If you're fuzzy on the chmod concept
(I was for a long time), just do a "man chmod" -- it will do a much better
job explaining the usage than I would. =)

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Einar Sundgren wrote:

> A really stupid question,Iknow but this is the newbie list. How do i do to edit
> owner and group on files and folders preferrably from the console, I have nice
> shells for it in X so there are no problems.  Btw i have root access so thats
> not a problem.

___
Matthew McCleary - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computer Science, New Mexico Tech

"There are two major products that come from Berkeley: LSD and BSD.
We do not believe this to be a coincidence."