According to Patrick Emonts: While burning my CPU.

> Yesterday I updated my kernel from 2.0.36 (Suse 6.0) to 2.2.5. To do so
> I had to upgrade the following packages:
>       kernel modutils
>       procps
>       procinfo
>       psmisc
>       net-tools
> (all the other ones mentionned in the changes file were up to date)
>
> Everything went by alright until I rebooted with the new kernel. During
> the initilization process I get error messages about modprobe being
> unable to locate nls_cp_437 and nls_iso8859-1 right after mounting

That looks like you did not define NLS support (which you will need) when
doing make(menu)(x)config.
Codepage 437 (United States, Canada)
NLS ISO 8859-1  (Latin 1; Western European Languages)

NLS = Native Language Support, i always select them all as modules, of
course you possably will never need them all, however defining them as
modules has no ill effects at all.

> /proc. I also get a lot of "unable to locate char-major-4" messages.

I cant remember what char-major-4 is at the minute, just ignore that message
at bootime, possably when some or other process needs char-major-4 it will
report it, then you possably will get the answer of howto fix it.

> Finally once in a while Squid fails to start.
>
> However the system is stable.
>
> Though, ps issues a warning message that /boot/system.map has wrong
> kernel information,

I suggest you read the man page for "ps" look at the section on "UPDATING"
if that does not work then just remove the symbolic link in /boot for
System.map or rename System.map to System.map.old then copy
/usr/src/linux/System.map to /boot

> the CPU, according to the CPU monitor, gets stuck at
> 100% usage after running 1.5 hours (no performance loss noticable) and
> IP masquerading is unavailable. The command:
>       /sbin/ipfwadm -F -p deny
> exits with the error "ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: No such file or
> direcroty".
> And the command:
>       /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a m -s 192.168.11.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
> returns "ipfwadm: setsockopt failed: Invalid argument".

A quote from the Changes file which you said you had read.

   As of 2.1.102, the IP firewalling code has been replaced; ipfwadm
will no longer work.  You need to obtain "ipchains," available from
http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/ , and use that instead of
ipfwadm.

   To use masq forwarding you will need to obtain "ipmasqadm,"
available from http://juanjox.linuxhq.com/ .

--
Regards Richard.