An empty fonts.dir will also do this to you.  About the last line of the
message:  As well as font paths, the fp can contain a path to a font
server.  For a local xfstt, FI, I have "unix/:7100".  If these are new
fonts, note that mkfontdir won't do anything for type1 fonts except copy
fonts.scale into fonts.dir - if you supply a fonts.scale.  You may have
to make one of those with type1inst.  From its README:

type1inst lives on the Linux archive sunsite.unc.edu in
/pub/Linux/X11/xutils.  Updates will be placed there as required.

Okay, it's an old README.  that should be metalab.unc.edu.

HTH

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Ulf Lundstr\366m wrote:

> Hi all...
>
> I'm having trouble setting the font path useing xset...
>
> When I execute the command :
> 'xset fp= /usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1'
> I get this error message:
>
> 'xset:  bad font path element (#1), possible causes are:
>       Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>       Directory missing fonts.dir
>       Incorrect font server address or syntax'
>
> I've tried to execute the command as my regular user aswell as root,
but I
> still get the same message... The directory contains the file
fonts.dir...

> The one thing I don't get is the last line of the message... What does
it
> realy mean...
>
> Or maybe I am executing the command with a wrong syntax...
>
> Please anyone, help me out here... Useing GIMP without fonts aren't
that
> funny when you need to produce some logos and headers...
>
> TIA
>       //Ulf Lundstrom
>

> If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite
you.
> This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
>               -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]