As long as you are trying to reach the Internet ONLY from the host that is
directly connected to it, you don't need IP Masq running. You do need a
correctly configured pppd setup (and perhaps some added dns pointers). To
that end, a few questions:

1. How do you connect to the Internet? I assume by pppd directly from the
Linux host, but what are the details?

2. When you are connected to the Internet, what is the output of "ifconfig"?

3. When you are connected to the Internet, what is the output of "route -n".

4. When you try and fail to ping Internet hosts, are you trying by hostname
or IP address? If you've only tried names, try addresses and see if that
succeeds.

5. In /etc/resolv.conf, do you have entries for your ISP's DNS servers? If
not, add them.

6. Can you reach other Internet hosts with other services, such as telnet or
http? I ask because some ISPs disable ping for security reasons.

If you need to post again, include the distribution/version of Linux you are
using, the kernel version, and the pppd version.

At 06:56 PM 4/19/99 -0700, David Erdman wrote:
>the linux machine (mine) (192.168.0.1)can ping the windows
machine(192.168.0.2),
>but i am having quite a time connecting to the internet.  actually i can
>connect to the internet, i just can't ping any internet server once connected.
>my host name is erd.net (just some name i invented).  isp in psn.net (dynamic
>ips) the info on the eth0 is ip 192.168.0.1 nm 255.255.255.0, primary name +
>domain is erd.net., alias is x.  this is all i have configured (plus the win
>and my machine in my etc/hosts). i am not sure if ip masq is compiled or
>active..?.. what are these routes that you speak of?

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]