[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> - The system doesn't flash up with XWindows like it should,
> - I installed the LILO in the Master Boot Record so that I should be able
> to DECIDE whether to boot under Linux or Win95 but this doesn't
> happen/work,
> - I have to boot off the boot disk in the A drive (fd0 ???),
> - I have since changed the configuration of the machine's cards, etc, and
> - I feel inclined to install it all again on another disk (a slave) on
> another machine.
> HOWEVER,
> - I could do it on a dedicated machine.

You need to provide some details as to what happens when you
installed LILO.  Steps necessary to accomplish this:
1.  edit /etc/lilo.conf and make sure you have the details
    correct which includes the path to your image of linux.
2.  execut the command "lilo" and see what report it makes.

> My aspirations are to have a small LAN at home with several machines
> hanging off a 10BaseT 'Ethernet' mini-hub, including one dedicated to the
> local Amateur Radio packet network. Off the hub: under WIN 95, the children
> would have a slowish 486, my wife and I would have another slow 486 for our
> studies; under Linux 386 machine for me to play with; under Win 3.1 or
> Linux I'd have a radio packet 286/386 connected; we'd share a printer with
> its own print-server card... (and the fairies at the end of the garden
> could also have one too.)  I have hardware for all that.

Frankly I would use one of your 486's without Xwindows as a server.
The faster machines are needed if you are using any graphics displays
whereas an old 486 can quite adequately handle the kind of server
business that you seem to be contemplating.

Just my 2 cents.

Jonathan J.