But how will it be connected to the local LAN? A PPP interface connects two
hosts -- one at the ISP, the other on the LAN. The 2-interface host on the
LAN will need to act as a router, and all other hosts on the LAN will need
to have the 2-interface host identified as their gateway. This is nothing
special about the Linux or PPP parts -- all routers work this way, and the
Linux host at the LAN end is functioning as a router. It will have the
PPP-IP address of your co-located host (the one at the ISP) as its default
route and the LAN IP range as a local route to a specific network.

Similarly, your machine at the ISP has 2 interfaces -- an Ethernet (IP =
204.143.107.46, I assume) and PPP (IP = ?). It needs to route traffic
between the two interfaces as well. It will have a static route to the LAN
network through the PPP-IP address of your on-site 2-interface host, a
default route to the ISP, and a gateway that is whatever outgoing gateway
the ISP presents. (Other than the PPP part, this host is most likely already
set up properly.)

At least it is approximately like that. To get it right, I'd need to know
the IP numbering schemes for all of the interfaces and networks.

At 10:02 AM 5/6/99 -0600, Jacob (Mettavihari) wrote:

>Jacob (Mettavihari)
>
>> >I have another questions on TCP/IP
>> >
>> >My ISP has gateway 204.143.107.33
>> >and My machine on the Lan of my ISP is 204.143.107.46
>> >
>> >When I now set up a Seperate Lan in another place
>> >and login to MY machine 204.143.107.46 on my ISP's Lan
>> >will that be the Gateway that I have to give when setting up my Lan,
>> >or will I have to give the ISP's gateway 204.143.107.33   ?
>
>I think I have not described myself well enough.
>
>My main server 204.143.107.46 is actually installed at my ISP's office,
>and is part of their Lan
>I have fitted a modem to it and dial into my machine.
>my main server will be connected to my local lan vith a PPP interface.

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.328.4219 voice                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]