I'm using a couple of old computers at my office and want to replace
windows with linux on all of them. Before long I could add a more
powerful server, but the current machines are 486-33's.

I have a question about running X on these old slugs, and then a
question about running X on a server:

One is non-VLB with 8mb of ram. It's been running win95 and it's
painfully slow. Got to get rid of it. I've been intended to switch to
character mode something or other just to preserve some usefulness of
this machine and linux seems to be the ideal solution.  BUT, what I'm
wondering is, since the employee who uses it is a Mac person, she would
be delighted if I put the mac-like window mgr mlvwm on it. I've tested
mlvwm at home and got it working. I'm sure this is less of a load than
gnome or kde -- which I haven't get tried. While I'm sure character mode
stuff would be okay --- since she really only needs e-mail, an an editor
and dosemu for some database stuff -- I'm wondering if a minimal
X-windows setup would be feasible on this machine.

The other machine is a 16MB ram VLB 486dx33. It runs NT fairly bareably
but I want to get out of windows entirely. If the other machine wouldn't
be enough for X, would this one? ... or should I stick to
character-based stuff on both of these machines?

Currently these machines are linked into a little P2P network. I don't
know how to do this in linux yet. So another question is: Is there some
HOWTO (or some other doc) that will walk me through it? I'm using NE2000
compatible cards on each end.

And finally, as an alternative to having X on either of these machines,
would it be possible for users of these old slugs to run X on their
machines from another, more powerful linux server?  And, if so, could
performance -- depending on network load at any given time -- generally
minimal -- be closer the the server's rather than more like that of the
client's -- FOR each clint? (I've never done anything but P2P
networking.)

thanks much,
Jamie

The Faunt School of Creative Music