On Fri, 14 May 1999, JF wrote:

> I'm using a couple of old computers at my office and want to replace
> windows with linux on all of them. Before long I could add a more
> powerful server, but the current machines are 486-33's.
>
> I have a question about running X on these old slugs, and then a
> question about running X on a server:
>
> One is non-VLB with 8mb of ram. It's been running win95 and it's
> painfully slow. Got to get rid of it. I've been intended to switch to
> character mode something or other just to preserve some usefulness of
> this machine and linux seems to be the ideal solution.  BUT, what I'm
> wondering is, since the employee who uses it is a Mac person, she would
> be delighted if I put the mac-like window mgr mlvwm on it. I've tested
> mlvwm at home and got it working. I'm sure this is less of a load than
> gnome or kde -- which I haven't get tried. While I'm sure character
mode
> stuff would be okay --- since she really only needs e-mail, an an
editor
> and dosemu for some database stuff -- I'm wondering if a minimal
> X-windows setup would be feasible on this machine.

8mb is the practical minimum for running an X server and X clients on
the same machine.  Make sure you have a swap partition.  It'll probably
thrash the virtual a bit, but should be usable.

> The other machine is a 16MB ram VLB 486dx33. It runs NT fairly bareably
> but I want to get out of windows entirely. If the other machine
wouldn't
> be enough for X, would this one? ... or should I stick to
> character-based stuff on both of these machines?

X should run better than NT with 16mb.

> Currently these machines are linked into a little P2P network. I don't
> know how to do this in linux yet. So another question is: Is there some
> HOWTO (or some other doc) that will walk me through it? I'm using
NE2000
> compatible cards on each end.

Have you tried the Ethernet-HOWTO?  NET-3-HOWTO?

> And finally, as an alternative to having X on either of these machines,
> would it be possible for users of these old slugs to run X on their
> machines from another, more powerful linux server?  And, if so, could
> performance -- depending on network load at any given time -- generally
> minimal -- be closer the the server's rather than more like that of the
> client's -- FOR each clint? (I've never done anything but P2P
> networking.)

In X terms, the program that controls the keyboard and display is the
server.  So X servers on your two slugs can serve client applications on
your server box at speeds limited by the capacity of your net and
server box.  See the mini/Remote-X-Apps for guidance on this, and
possibly mini/LBX if network bandwidth is a problem.

Lawson
          >< Microsoft free environment

This mail client runs on Wine.  Your mileage may vary.

> thanks much,
> Jamie
>
> --
> The Faunt School of Creative Music
> Accelerated Music Mastery
> http://www.pacificnet.net/~faunt/
> phone:818-506-MUSE
> fax: 818-508-0429

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]