In a message dated 5/28/99 8:53:29 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have a second linux box here which is used for experimentation and
> currently it has no keyboard or monitor. I have begun using the vnc stuff
for
> remote access around my flat, I can access this box from either my desktop
W$%
> &$^ machine or my laptop off the house LAN. The situation I wish to
overcome
> is how do I get the server started as 'myuid' when I first boot up this box.
>
>  So far I have tried 'su' and the command substitution from rc.local but
that
> does not appear to work, if I'm logged in as root that's fine but otherwise
> nada?
>
>  Currently the box in question is running RH5.2 with a agitated kernel
2.2.6
> implementation, which works fine....vnc is great cause if my multiple user
> Win system crashes...which as we all know happens quite regular, everything
> else just ticks along.
>
>  Can someone help, point me to any info or even a script to try?
>
>  TIA
>
>  Andrew

Hey Andrew,
I think I ran into this problem before. I found an answer in the VNC FAQ page
(http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/faq.html). Here is the part that helped
me:
Q. Why can I only run vncserver/Xvnc as root?
The most likely reason for this is that Xvnc can't create the unix domain
socket (the path for this unix domain socket is usually /tmp/.X11-unix/Xn).
Try making sure that users can write to this directory by making it
world-writable, i.e. "chmod a+w /tmp/.X11-unix".  Note that to avoid a
security loophole the "sticky bit" should also be set on the directory by
doing "chmod o+t /tmp/.X11-unix".  If you don't do this then someone else
logged in to the same machine may be able to intercept the X protocol and
thereby access your desktop and snoop on it, etc.  An alternative is to set
the Xvnc binary to have the same permissions as your normal X server, but
this may be more of a security risk.

Good luck,
Noel