According to David Krings: While burning my CPU.

> Hi !
>

> > You mount it at / . This is a confusing bit of terminology in Linux/Unix -
> > the root filesystem (always located at /) is different from the home
> > directory of the superuser (the account customarily called root, customarily
> > with home directory /root). Pfui!
>

>  Why is it confusing ? The name is / and the name of the superuser's directoty
> is root, so if one put both together it is called /root.

NO NO NO.

/root and / are two "completly different things".

/ is where the "WHOLE" linux directory structure resides, (if one chooses to
install everything under "/")

/root is an "EMPTY" directory after installing linux and booting for the
first time. Its the "$HOME" directory of the "superuser" and nothing else.

If the origanal question asker where to read your explanation on this
matter, he would now be even more confused than he was BEFORE asking the
question in the first place.

>  It is the same in Dos/Windows, there it is called \, together with the drive
> letter and a seperator it is c:\ , so the only difference is that in DOS it is
> the backslash and in Linux the slash - never met someone who complained about
> that being confusing in DOS, so neither i think it is in linux.
>  Discussable is the name /, maybe ppl like Budweiser or BigMac as name for
> this
> mountpoint better. *joke*

Oops, NEVER compare DOS with Linux or even *nix for that matter.

"""Never insult an alligator until you've crossed the river."""
---Even with or without a beer and a burger in your hands.---

Now thats my humor for today.

--
Regards Richard.