On Tue, 01 Jun 1999, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> From:                 "Langa Kentane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To:                   "Linux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject:              Permissions problems [newbie]
> Date sent:            Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:44:59 +0200
>
> > I created a directory called incoming in my ftp root dir for uploads as
> > everyone normally does.  I changed the ownership of the directory to ftp
> > users and the same group.  Next I changed the rights to +xrw in that same
> > dir.
> >
> > The problem now is that when I try to upload stuff to that dir from a
> > windoze client it just tells me that access is denied.
>
> So the command was "chmod incoming +xrw" exactly??
>
> Possibly (and I'm nowhere near a *nix machine to check for sure) this sets
> permissions for the owner of the file only;
> "chmod incoming a+xrw" (to set for all users) would work a little better. This is
> only a guess; it's quite likely I'm way off base.

Possibly, using Midnight Commander, you can change permissions of the whole
directory... but this might be too easy. ;-) Seriously, open up a terminal
window (under X) or just change to a standard terminal window and (as root)
start up Midnight Commander (mc) and go to the main FTP root directory and
select the "incoming" directory and then press your F9 key for the pull-down
menus, then move over to the "file" and select "cHmod" (or click on "file" with
your mouse <G>) From there, I think you can figure it out... :-)
Hope this helps...

 --
        John Aldrich
        COL Tech Support