Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 10:26:11 -0600 (MDT)
From: Bill Thorson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Patrick James Fitzpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: email question on Red Hat 5.2

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999, Patrick James Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Bill,
>
> What do you think of this suggestion I found on the web site:
>
> http://archives.isp-linux.com/9903/msg00549.html

This probably won't work for your machine....

I looked at it this morning and this is what I saw.

  * sendmail was not running at all when I logged on.  So I started it!
    Then I sent a message from typhoon to twister and it worked fine.

  * If you are using twister as a pop server then you will need to get
    it to allow relaying for the machines which will pop into it.  From
    looking at your /etc/sendmail.cf file I've determined that these
    three files control relaying: /etc/mail/ip_allow, /etc/mail/name_allow,
    and /etc/mail/relay_allow.

    /etc/mail/ip_allow is a file where you put the IP addresses of the
    machines that are allowed to use twister to relay their messages.  POP
    will accept their message and use sendmail to relay it.

    /etc/mail/name_allow looks like the same as ip_allow except you use
    the name.  You might be able to just put the domain like jsums.edu and
    allow all machines in that domain.  I'm not sure.

    /etc/mail/relay_allow is where you can give your machine permission to
    relay only TO machines listed in this file.   This is probably not what
    you want to do.

Bill